How Much is that Doggy in the Window?

I think I have been hit by spring fever lately.  I'm finding it hard to focus on work!  We have just finished up a unit on measurement and I wanted to share an activity that I created to give my students some practice and have fun at the same time.  I call it How Long is that Doggy in the Window? and it begins with a measurement scavenger hunt.  There are 12 different dogs that are all in whole inch increments between one and twelve inches long.  I taped them up around the room and my students had to find them, estimate their length, and then measure them.

A student using her thumb to help her estimate length.
Using a ruler to measure
Recording answers

When they finished measuring, and had checked their answers, they got to choose a dog and create a  How long is your dog? picture.  They colored and cut their dog, cut it in half, and added more to the middle to create a new dog.



Here are a few of the finished products.  They are so cute, and my students had a great time making them.  I realize as I'm posting it, that three of the pictures are of the same dog!  There are actually eight different dogs for students to choose from.





If you like what you see, you can get your copy here.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment